Monday 30 June 2014

Hyomin "Nice Body"- MV Review


After approximately 3697 teasers, Hyomin's "Nice Body" has finally been released. The T-ara member's solo debut was announced a while ago along with fellow member Jiyeon's and now that the latter has finished promotions for "1Min 1Sec" it's now time for Hyomin to take the stage.




"Nice Body" was produced by Brave Brothers and you can really tell when listening to the song. It sounds a lot like what he's been giving AOA if you took away the trumpets. Seriously, I can almost hear Choa and Yuna singing the chorus and the other vocalists singing the verse lines (especially just before the chorus where they almost run into each other like in "Miniskirt" and "Short Hair"). Maybe it's because I've not stopped listening to Short Hair since release, or maybe it's because Brave Brothers just couldn't be bothered this time around because the song is so generic and it's painful, I mean the instrumental doesn't even change between the chorus and the verses.

I almost feel bad for Hyomin because she does a pretty good job of delivering the song; she doesn't try too hard to sound sexy and her vocals aren't over the top, though I guess with a song like this there's only so much you can do. Despite my complaining I do actually like the song but it's just so bland, there's barely anything to it and I can't give it any higher praise than decent because the only thing it has going for it is a summer feel.
Strangely there are almost no accusations of the MV being too sexy.
The MV also is very summer themed. The video begins with Hyomin, in what I'm assuming is prosthetic makeup to look bigger, wearing a tracksuit and eating lots of sugary foods and looking at a Barbie doll before falling asleep. Whilst asleep she dreams of herself with a better body, playing sports, partying and showing off her body in the summer heat, hence the title "Nice Body". It's basically just shots that showcase her figure (as well tons of butt shots, pretty much every shot of her on the motorcycle highlight her backside).

I'm sure many people won't be happy with how Hyomin's body was idolised when in reality she'll have gone through ridiculous diets and won't be very healthy herself, at the beginning of the video she isn't very fat, and most importantly she's ultimately doing the diet to get the attention of some boy, in fact in the comments objectification and sexism run rife as people argue about the message. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it because whilst it could have handled the topic of dieting better at least it mentions that the dieter themselves can feel more confident with their body so I guess it didn't completely mess up?? I'm hoping it was supposed to be ironic though because it's pretty problematic.

Barbie's hardly a great role model when it comes to one's body.
Overall, it's a decent summer song but nothing special, and whilst I'm sure it'll get a few plays from me it probably won't have a lasting spot on my playlist. It's slightly disappointing but not necessarily bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment